Each January, MMUF hosts a ten-day experiential learning program for fellows in Cape Town, South Africa. Fellows and coordinators from all MMUF member institutions are invited to apply.
The intention of the January Program is to broaden American and South African participants’ understandings of the South African socioeconomic, racial, cultural, historical and environmental landscape through critical inquiry, reflection and debate, while connecting their insights to the mission of the MMUF program as a whole. Please note that although we consider fellows’ and coordinators’ research interests as part of the selection criteria, the January Program is not a research program, and participants should not expect to have significant time for independent research during the Program.
Dates and Location
· The 2019 January Program will be held January 3-12, 2019 at the University of the Western Cape in Cape Town. Please note that the timing of this program may not be compatible with the winter break schedules of many U.S. institutions, and coordinators will need to confirm that all fellows who wish to apply can actually attend.
· The January Program will only accept applications submitted by MMUF coordinators on behalf of MMUF institutions; fellows may not apply individually. The MMUF staff at the Mellon Foundation will review all applications, including those from U.S. institutions that currently participate in exchanges with South African institutions.
· Because the number of available slots is very limited, we may not be able to accommodate every institution that would like to participate.
· We will make an effort to accommodate as many institutions as possible, and thus may need to limit the number of participants representing each institution.
· Please note that no institution will be awarded additional funding in order to pay for January Program participation. Either your MMUF program budget must be able to accommodate the expenses associated with this trip or your institution will need to secure funding from an alternate source. In addition, please be aware of the following:
a. Airline tickets will need to be purchased up front.
b. The cost of accommodations, food, ground travel, etc. in Cape Town during the duration of the program will be covered by the MMUF program at the University of the Western Cape.
For more information, please contact Lee Bynum (firstname.lastname@example.org).