Rising juniors and rising seniors are encouraged to apply to the University of Chicago's Mellon Summer Research Training Program. Since the University hopes to restore this program as a residential one, students should plan to arrive on Wednesday, June 7, 2023. Per UChicago’s policies, all admitted who enroll into the Mellon SRTP will be required to complete the University’s COVID-19 attestation form. The attestation form affirms that the signer will comply with the University’s safety precautions and guidelines. For more information, see the University’s Health Guidelines.
- Please find information about the UChicago Mellon SRTP here.
- Please download a copy of the 2023 SRTP Information Sheet here.
- Students can access the Application Site here. Last year, the University expanded the short essay component of the application to encourage even more student creativity. Please note that students and administrators can open an application account without committing to apply. Once users establish an account, they can save their work and return to the application at multiple intervals. They can also download a copy of the application itself.
Applicants who have any difficulty accessing these materials should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications are due March 30, 2023. The preferred deadline is March 15, 2023. If you hope to join a program after that date, please contact the University immediately..
- Course & Program Dates: June 7-August 12, 2023
Other important information on our application process:
- The application expects students to submit a study and community living agreement. This agreement is to be read and signed by the student and the MMUF Program Coordinator.
- In addition to a faculty recommendation, applicants must also secure a Community Member Recommendation. This endorsement should come from someone who has observed the applicant in an interactive, community-oriented setting. An instructor who has followed the student in a discussion-driven classroom may complete the form, but securing this endorsement from a residential staff member, religious community leader, or community service organization director would be ideal. (Students provide the contact information in the application platform for those providing this evaluation, and the University will send a short form directly to them.)
- Cost: There are no program fees to pay; however, students will need to make their own travel arrangements. Unless sponsored by the SRTP, students may find that they need some spending money for outings and public transportation.
- The 2023 SRTP will include:
- Dormitory living
- Full dining plan
- All study materials required for students' courses.
- Students earn an official transcript for two UChicago credit-bearing courses, Writing for Research and Engaged Scholarship.
- Multiple Workshops
- Community-building activities
Opportunities to participate in Chicago-based cultural events
Please email email@example.com with questions.